* The People’s Court is a magazine article by Alex Hutchinson that examines a case for universal legal care in Canada. The article mentions the BC civil legal aid test case, the BC Supreme Court Self-Help Information Centre and some of the BC Civil Justice Review recommendations. [3pp PDF] The Walrus, September 2008.
* The new Justice Access Centre (JAC) in Nanaimo opened on October 30, and will help people with legal issues such as separation or divorce, income security, employment, housing, or debt. The focus of the JAC is on solving problems through out-of-court settlements, but also to better prepare those who do go to court. Another JAC is expected to open in Vancouver soon.
* New on the Family Law in BC (Legal Services Society) website:
"How to Serve Documents Outside BC" in Farsi [7 pp PDF] October 2007
Aboriginal Child Protection Fact Sheets:
- Understanding Aboriginal Community and Parents' Rights [2 pp PDF] August 2008
- Understanding Court Orders and Hearings [2 pp PDF] August 2008
- Understanding Kith and Kin Care Agreements [2 pp PDF] August 2008
* A new website for the BC Law Institute includes the BC Law Reform Group , the Canadian Centre for Elder Law and the International Law Reform Group .
* Another redesigned website has been launched recently: the Community Legal Assistance Society now includes information on their programs such as the Community and Disability Law Programs , the Mental Health Law Program and the Human Rights Clinic .