* Updated editions of free titles of public legal information
BC Civil Liberties:
- The Arrest Handbook: A Guide to Your Rights Revised 2008
- The Citizenship Handbook: A Guide to Democratic Rights and Responsibilities Revised 2008
Legal Services Society:
- Living Together or Living Apart: Common-Law Relationships, Marriage, Separation, and Divorce 2nd edition, 2008
- Your Welfare Rights: A User’s Guide to BC Employment and Assistance - 2008 update insert to 19th revised edition, 2008
People's Law School:
- Child's Right to Love: Information for Grand parents, Relatives, and Others Close to the Child 3rd edition, 2008
- Learning About the Law 10th edition, 2008
- Working in BC: Your Legal Rights & Responsibilities 5th edition, 2009
* Other reading about legal information and the legal profession
- Pathways to Justice: The Role of Non-Legal Services Law and Justice Foundation of New South Wales [Justice Issues Paper 1] June 2007, is part of a series of research papers on Access to Justice and Legal Needs.
- The New Lawyer: How Settlement is Transforming the Practice of Law , by Julie Macfarlane, UBC Press, 2008. Macfarlane contrasts the traditional "zealous advocate" role of the lawyer with an alternative dispute resolution function, explaining that new lawyers may choose either role, or a mix of the two. She outlines how this relates to issues such as the lawyer-client relationship, the role of the law, and legal negotiation norms. [as noted in Courthouse Libraries BC What's New feature Feb. 18, 2009]
- Why Attacks on Judges Deserve More Attention Letter written by Miriam Maisonville, President of the Canadian Bar Association BC Branch, in response to a CTV news story about Judge Ellen Gordon. February 23, 2009.
* New Service:
Court Services Online now provides Electronic Filing of Civil Court Documents for registered users to submit electronic court documents on civil cases to BC courts, for a $7 fee. Court Services Online also offers: daily court lists; e-search of civil cases court records; view/print documents; purchase of documents online; and filing assistant. Tutorials are available on the site to explain how the services work.